Saturday, September 22, 2007

No pain, no gain

I've been miserable for the last week. I've been in absolute agony with my back. A new trick its been playing on me is seizing up with no warning and no precipitating event. Also, this is fun, tingling and numbness in my legs and arms. Apparently the tingling and numbness are signs of nerve damage. Who knew? So, I've been fairly grumpy and had to miss some work because of it (not cool, especially since I've only been at the job a few weeks) I've bitten the bullet and am going to see a chiropractor over this spine of mine (hey, I'm a poet and I don't even know it). That should be fun, more X-rays. It's been especially hard on me because I've been having trouble sleeping. I wear my mouth splint at night (to stop me grinding and popping my jaw) and I'm sleeping with a special pillow between my legs to keep them apart and (supposedly) help keep my spine aligned (hey more rhymes!) Poor old Christopher has become my pack horse, he won't let me carry anything heavier than a lettuce leaf. However, the important thing is that I'm not doped to the gills with painkillers. No sir, I just lather myself in Ben Gay and try not to let Chris see me cry (or hear me scream).

No job yet for Chris, he was offered one job but it was unsuitable for him. The job consisted of mowing lawns. I've told him I'll screen any jobs he applies for in the future. I ask you, what made the man think he would enjoy mowing bloody lawns for a living?!?!?!?

So I'm in BC at the moment (I feel horrible being here as I missed Thursday and Friday from work with my back...it was legit, I was bedridden for two days!) If I'd backed out of the trip a) I'd be out +++ $$$ and b) (more importantly) I'd have missed the Titanic exhibition HELLO?!?!?!? THE TITANIC EXHIBITION! I've got OCD how the hell can I honestly be expected to miss and EXHIBITION of TITANIC artifacts?!?!?!?!?!?!? It was very nice and I'm glad I went, I made sure not to let Chris walk in front of me so that he wouldn't see me limping and grimacing with every step. I bought over $400 worth of books/DVDs/memorobilia. Yeah, I'm an addict what are you going to do about it? Everyone has a vice, this is mine. Besides it's not like I'm ever going to get an opportunity to go again. The sad thing was that I've got more books than they had there, also, my books were much better than the ones they had. They didn't have Walter Lord's "A Night to Remember" also missing were the disaster enquiry hearing transcripts. Sad. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the people who went to the exhibit were expecting to see pictures of Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, maybe some were hoping to get autographs. Oh well, I'm sure some people learned some things despite themselves. I learned that when I'm subjected to the body odour or a 300+ pound man who hasn't showered in about 6 years that I have difficulty not vomiting. Seriously people! If you're going to go out in public PLEASE BATHE! Cripes, some people should be shot.

Anyway we're going home tomorrow (here less than 48 hours) so that's sad. I think when we come up for Mark's funeral...er, wedding reception. We'll stay a few days and enjoy a bit.

No comments: