Thursday, February 7, 2008

Enter Sandman

I had an interesting day yesterday....well actually it was mind numbingly boring but to anyone but me it was somewhat interesting. On the night of the 5th I went to the Canadian Sleep Institute to get tested for my sleep disorder. They wired me up (I felt like the $6,000,000 Man) I had electrodes all over my head, neck, chest, and legs, I had a nasal prong shoved up my nose, bands around my waist and chest and a pulse oximetre on my finger. The intention was to see what was going on in my poor tortured little brain when I did weird things in my sleep (talking, walking, breaking things, screaming etc etc.) so, of course, I slept like a log. Actually last night I slept like a log too. I sincerely hope I don't have to go back and do it again. Also, to add insult to injury we had to pay $1000 out of our own pockets for this because it's not covered by Alberta Health Care. This ticks me off. What the hell do I pay my freakin' health care premiums for if I don't get anything in return? Also, most private insurance companies don't cover it (we don't know about Chris' yet). Basically though, the doctor told that if I don't get it done ASAP he'll have to rescind my driver's license, I fall asleep during the day and apparently have little micro naps without knowing it, I know I have fallen asleep while driving. It's a bit of a catch-22. I'll see what I can get in the way of coverage though it seems stupid to me that a person with no choice in the matter should be black balled like that.
Our money situation what with Maya and Mush getting sick as well as our useless waste of skin for a lawyer charging us $860 and Direct Energy giving us a bill (for a house we haven't lived in for 6 months) for $720 and this stupid sleep test costing $1000 has put us in the dog house financially. I assumed I'd get a job fairly quickly but, of course here I sit, unemployed and, at the moment unemployable (how the hell would I get to work?) So, no stress at all (NOT!) Chris got a little baby of a raise so we'll see how that pans out. Knowing our luck it will be just enough to push him into a higher tax bracket thus decreasing our income. Never rains but it pours. Oh well, on the plus side, Maya is good as new, Mush is okay (still in pain but we've got it under control) and in two weeks time I'll know whether I need a padded cell or not. Happy Happy Joy Joy!

No comments: